Sunday, May 23, 2010

What I actually learned during finals week,

when I was studying all that Homer, Vergil, and Lucretius.

1) They stopped putting caffiene in Monster engery drinks. I don't know when they did it, because in undergrad, I remember it being there, but Monster energy drinks no longer make me bounce off the wall.

2) Nobody really understands Vergil's Georgics. Nobody.

3) We Classicists make up a lot of things. Like the term, "didactic poetry."

4) When someone asks you a question you don't know how to answer, the best thing to say is, "I think it has something to do with the moon and the tides." This is a surprisingly versatile answer.

5) Starbucks' cinnamon coffee cake is really, really good. Almost makes up for the fact that all I ate that week besides Starbucks coffee cake was pizza, Chinese take-out, and Subway.

6) Washing dishes is fun! Compared to thumping my head against the wall trying to figure out how to write my term paper.




On an unrelated note, here's a little something for all the single ladies out there: a picture of post-marital laundry. Enjoy!






2 comments:

Joe M. said...

3) We Classicists make up a lot of things. Like the term, "didactic poetry."

Hah! Too true.

Sara said...

If you get an opportunity while you're reading Thucydides this summer, make sure to mention that the most of the Peloponnesian War is actually just Alcibiades playing chess with himself ;-)

And you clearly need to post more, as I apparently don't have enough opportunities to comment (it took me 7? tries to log into this account...)